Purpose: To empower children by building relationships with participants in St. Vincent de Paul Louisville’s After-School Program and assisting with classes and activities at the Family Success Center.
- Mentor children at the Family Success center by engaging them in games, crafts, and conversation during down time.
- Assist staff with meal preparation and clean-up before, during, and after meals in the Dare to Care Kid’s Café as necessary.
- Be aware of the class schedule and lead children to appropriate activities promptly and according to the schedule
- Encourage children to get the most out of enrichment programs by collaborating with them on projects and activities, and providing guidance when needed.
- Assist enrichment instructors with set-up and clean-up as necessary.
- Support the development of self-esteem by maintaining a consistent presence at the Family Success Center during the internship.
- Interns must commit to devoting 20-40 hours to the After-school Program over the course of 8 weeks between the hours of 4-7pm Monday to Thursday.
- Be a junior or senior in high school, or a college student. The individual must be responsible and be prepared to be a positive role model for the participants.
- Demonstrate an interest in education, childhood development, and/or community empowerment.
- Provide at least two references that can speak to the applicants’ character and qualifications.
- Must complete an online child safety course.
Time Commitment: The After-School Program schedules programs in 8-week sessions. Students selected for the internship will work with staff at the Family Success Center to choose a session that will be beneficial for both the after-school program and the intern. Interns must commit to working with the kids for at least 20 hours between 4-7pm Monday to Thursday during their assigned session. Ideally, the intern would be present for programs 1-2 days per week during their assigned session.
The Childhood Empowerment Intern reports directly to the staff on duty at the Family Success Center. They will also be responsible for communicating regularly with the programing VISTA via email, phone, or in person. To apply, submit your resume and references to the programing VISTA, Jessie Walsh, via email at email@example.com. You may also contact (502) 301-8692 and ask for Jessie Walsh or Mallory Tober for more information.