St. Vincent de Paul Louisville is proud to be home to Shelby Park’s seventh historic marker. The marker is on the Jackson Street side of campus and commemorates the formation of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in Louisville in 1853 and the birth of the Open Hand Kitchen in 1982.
On December 28, 2020, there was a brief dedication ceremony attended by senior leadership, board members, Chip Rogalinski, past president of the Shelby Park Neighborhood Association, and Steve Wiser, board member of the Louisville Historical League.
Mr. Rogalinski and Angela Champion Sprowl, former Director of Development at St. Vincent de Paul Louisville, began the application process for this marker two years ago, working with the Louisville Historic League and the Kentucky Historical Society. We thank them for their efforts.
St. Vincent de Paul Louisville is proud to call Shelby Park and Smoketown our home and we look forward to many more years here. We’re excited to see what lies ahead for our neighborhood.